Autism is a severe, lifelong, pervasive developmental disorder that affects all aspects of a person's life. In particular it affects the person's ability to communicate, socially interact with others, and often affects their sensory system which causes unusual behaviours and body movements.
- Onset is between birth and 30 months of age
- Occurs in 1 in 500 births
- It is four times more prevalent in boys than girls
- Exists around the world in families of all backgrounds
- No known cause - neurological, genetic, environmental
- No known cure
For more information on Autism and related disorders, check out our lending library or request a presentation or tour of one of our programs.